A key factor with the way I work and what I do is keeping control of a tight budget as a student. Working on such large scale projects and exploring an ever wider array of materials and processes tends to mean, for me at least, that my ideas and concepts are ever increasing in there complexity and scale. This of course in turn can also mean material costs spiralling out of control.
I had estimated at the beginning of the project the overall cost of materials to be between £1,500 and £1,600. Although I had enough funds to cover this initially, the unplanned expenses of life severely ate into these funds. By refining my original concept I have managed to get that figure down to around £1,100.
I have learn an extremely valuable lesson here. In the process of refining, and therefore reducing costs, I have managed to improve the overall installation and make a much stronger piece of art.